The Webster Technique
The foundation of Maternity/Pregnancy Chiropractic Care. From the moment of conception and during the 40 weeks of pregnancy, your body goes through a series of remarkable changes. It is easy for all of us to see postural changes through pregnancy – the center of gravity changes as the weight of the baby places increased pressure on the spine especially in the low back, hips, and pelvis. What we cannot see, are the millions of different hormonal changes and chemical reactions occurring both in the mother and the developing baby – all of which are controlled and coordinated through the nervous system. Now more than ever, you need a healthy spine and a nervous system that responds immediately and accurately to changing requirements in all parts of your body; that’s what chiropractic does best! Symptoms of pregnancy change with each trimester and chiropractic care is safe during pregnancy when provided by a chiropractor that has been trained to work with pregnant women.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care Before Pregnancy
- A more regular menstrual cycle and optimal uterine function.
- It prepares the body to be strong, supple, and balanced as possible to carry the pregnancy.
- Restoring proper nerve supply to reproductive organs has helped many couples who thought they were infertile.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
According to recent studies, Chiropractic care may result in easier pregnancy including increased comfort during the third trimester and delivery, and reduced need for pain medications. Other benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy include…
- A more comfortable pregnancy and delivery.
- A 50% reduced need for analgesics (pain medication).
- A 24% – 39% faster than average labor time.
- 84% of women report relief of back pain during pregnancy.
- Significantly less likelihood of back labor (contractions and sharp pain felt in the lower back during labor).
- Significantly reduced utilization of epidurals, forceps, vacuum extraction, episiotomies, and Cesarean sections.
- Reduced likelihood of postpartum depression.
For more information on these research findings, please visit the official website of the International Chiropractic Pediatrics Association.
The Webster Technique – A Safe and Gentle Chiropractic Approach for Pregnancy
According to the ICPA website:
“The Webster Technique is a specific chiropractic adjustment for pregnant mothers. Working to correct sacral subluxations, this technique balances pelvic muscles and ligaments in the woman’s pelvis, removes constraint and allows the baby to get into the best possible position for birth. Because of its ability to facilitate easier, safer deliveries for both the mother and baby, many birth care providers are actively seeking Doctors of Chiropractic with the skills in this technique.”
If you are a birth care provider and interested in more information on this topic, please feel free to contact our office at any time.